Kharkiv National Medical University
Kharkiv National Medical University (KNMU) Ukraine is one of the oldest higher educational establishments of Ukraine. It was founded in 1805 as the Medical Faculty of the Kharkiv University.Kharkov Medical Institute, Kharkov National Medical University and Kharkov State Medical University are old names of Kharkiv National Medical University - KNMU .
Kharkiv National Medical University is best for foreign students who want to Study Medicine in Ukraine.
Kharkiv National Medical University (KNMU) Ukraine is one of the oldest higher educational establishments of Ukraine. It was founded in 1805 as the Medical Faculty of the Kharkiv University. Kharkov Medical Institute, Kharkov National Medical University and Kharkov State Medical University are old names of Kharkiv National Medical University/KNMU
Kharkiv National Medical University is best for foriegn students who want to Study Medicine in Ukraine.
The Degree (MBBS, BDS, MD, MDS, MS, NURSING) of the Kharkov National Medical University (KNMU) is prestigious and recognized in many countries of the world. Among former graduates of the University there are ministers and members of parliaments in various countries, outstanding scientists and famous specialists who founded their own clinics abroad. Within the period of their studies the students undergo academic training in main medical specialties. They take part in examinations of patients, giving urgent aid, work at X-ray rooms, clinical and biochemical laboratories. Particular attention is paid to clinical rounds of patients, their management, filling in and arrangement of case histories with their subsequent analysis. Clinical and theoretical training of the students is performed at 56 departments of the University and the best clinics of Kharkiv with use of modern medical diagnostic and therapeutically equipment, computed provision of the academic process, a wide use of audio and video aids.
Historically, Kharkiv National Medical University (KNMU) was the first higher medical educational institution in Ukraine.
It was founded as the Medical Faculty of Kharkiv.
In 1920, the Medical Faculty was united with the Women’s Medical Institute, and Kharkiv Medical Academy was organized.
In 1921, the Academy was renamed as Kharkiv Medical Institute.
In 1994, the Institute served as a base for establishing Kharkov state Medical University.
In 2007 Kharkiv state Medical University was renamed as Kharkiv National Medical University
Since 1951 the University has been training specialists for foreign countries of the Eastern Europe, China, Mongolia, and since 1961 students from the countries of Asia, Africa, and Latin America have been studying here. Now, 1900 foreign citizens study at KNMU at the Medical and Dentistry Faculties, at the clinical postgraduate course. More than 3,600 specialists from 86 states of Europe, Asia, Africa, Latin America, and Middle East have graduated from KNMU since 1951. Among them 12 Doctors and 90 Candidates of Medical Sciences, about 200 postgraduates. The languages of instruction for foreign students are Russian and English. KNMU has become an important centre for international students who need expert teaching in learning. The University is currently training about 7,000 students, among them 2150 foreign citizens, and its academic staff consists of more than 630 teachers, including 102 Doctors of Sciences and Professors, 387 Candidates of Medical Science, 32 members of academies, 17 Honored Scientists. Number of teaching/academic staff involved in teaching foreign students: total – 186, among them: doctors of sciences, professors (%) – 12.4; candidates of sciences, assistant professors (%) – 65.6.
Today KNMU Means
- is a member of the International Association of Universities, registered under UNESCO;
- has 8 Faculties: 1st – Medical, 2nd – Medical, 3rd – Medical, 4th – Medical, Stomatological, 5th and 6th – Medical Faculties for Training Foreign Students; these Faculties graduate doctors with the education-qualification level of a Specialist in such specialties as General Medicine, Pediatrics, Preventive Medicine, Stomatology; the Faculty of Postgraduate Training provides continuous development of doctors’ skills during all their professional activity;
- has 65 Departments, whose faculty numbers 803 specialists in sciences and pedagogy; of them, there are 130 Doctors of Medical Science, Professors and 446 Candidates of Medical Science, Associate Professors;
- trains over 7,000 students, interns, masters, clinical postgraduates, postgraduates and doctoral candidates, more than 2,100 of them being foreign citizens from 70 countries of Europe, Asia, Africa and America;
- has the following personnel potential: 5 corresponding members of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, 17 Honored Workers of Science and Engineering of Ukraine, 2 Honored Workers of Higher School of Ukraine, 8 winners of State Prize of Ukraine in the fields of science and engineering, 13 Honored Doctors of Ukraine, 28 members of the State and public Academies of Ukraine;
- is a modern multi-type educational establishment with its powerful scientific, material and technical basis, which includes: 6 education-research-production units; 2 research institutes, such as the Research Institute of Occupational Hygiene and Occupational Diseases of KNMU and the Ukrainian Institute of Clinical Genetics of KNMU; the University Stomatological Centre as the medical-educational-scientific unit of KNMU; the Scientific-Practical Medical Centre of KNMU; the Ukrainian Scientific-Practical Medical Centre of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductology; the Medical College of KNMU;
- has 44 clinical Departments, where medical work is done by 497 workers of the University (these consist of 96 Professors, 191 Associate Professors and 210 assistants) and 128 doctors of the University clinics, 73 postgraduates, 48 clinical postgraduates and 32 masters; of them, there are 331 medical workers with the highest category, 68 with the first, and 59 with the second;
- has 5 specialized academic councils for defending Doctor’s and Candidate’s theses; carries out training of doctors and scientists at such stages as interns, masters, clinical postgraduates, postgraduates and doctoral candidates;
- took part in 126 international scientific forums and 340 Ukrainian scientific forums;
- cooperates with 18 foreign institutions;
- participates in the realization of 16 international projects; 65 of its workers are members of 66 foreign scientific and medical organizations;
- has the Central Research Laboratory, 4 problem laboratories, the Educational-Scientific Centre based on classrooms for phantom techniques of education and computerized classrooms, and the Computer Center;
- has the Scientific Library, whose fund comprises over 1 million copies, and 16 computerized classrooms; more than 550 modern computers, video and audio aids are used in the process of training;
- is the place for active functioning of 18 scientific-pedagogical schools;
- has its students’ self-government, six hostels, with the successful work of the Youth Centre, the complex for physical education and health improvement, and “Medic” sports-health camp;
- was a recipient of the Gold Medal of the International Exhibition “Education and Career – 2010” in the nomination “Development of Students’ Research”.
Foreign students of Kharkiv National Medical University study at the 5th Faculty for Training Foreign Students (Russian medium) and at the 6th Faculty for Training Foreign Students (English medium), as well at the Preparatory Department, or undergo postgraduate and clinical postgraduate (residency) courses (License of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine AB No. 552643).
The training lasts 1 year.
The Preparatory Department of KNMU is one of the best in Kharkiv. The training is performed on the basis of the University departments and at its laboratories. This training is given in the Russian language and general subjects, including physics, chemistry and biology, with the purpose of the subsequent study of these students at higher educational establishments of the medical-biological type. During their training at the Preparatory Department of KNMU its students make the acquaintance of professors and teachers of the University. On finishing the Preparatory Department its students are issued Certificates approved by the Ukrainian Ministry of Education and Science.
Under Graduate Medical Course
Foreign students are trained in the following specialties:
- “General Medicine”, the period of study is 6 years.
- “Stomatology”, the period of study is 5 years.
Languages of instruction: Russian, Ukrainian, English. Since 1996 the University has been training students in the English medium in General Medicine, and since 2008 in Stomatology. The academic groups consist of 8-10 persons.
Within the period of studies the students undergo academic training in main medical and dental specialties. They take part in examinations of patients, giving urgent aid, work at X-ray rooms, clinical and biochemical laboratories. Particular attention is paid to clinical rounds of patients, their management, filling in and arrangement of medical reports with their subsequent analysis.
The graduates are awarded a Diploma of Specialist and qualified as Physicians with the title of “Doctor of Medicine” in General Medicine or Stomatologists with the title of “Doctor of Medicine” in Stomatology.
Post Graduate Medical Course
Qualified graduates of higher medical educational institutions who wish to continue their postgraduate training (in the Russian language) are given the right to undergo:
a clinical postgraduate course (residency) lasting 2-4 years;
a postgraduate course with an opportunity to defend a thesis competing for a scientific degree, the term of training is 3 years.
KNMU has created all conditions for improving the professional level in the specialties acquired. The University departments have modern diagnostic and medical equipment and laboratories for researches. The most popular specialties include Surgery, Ophthalmology, Traumatology and Orthopedics, Urology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, etc.
The work of a clinical postgraduate (resident) is carried on in compliance with the individual plan, which is devised and approved under the guidance of the head of a department or its professor, who is responsible for training of this resident, not later than one month after his/her enrolment. The plan envisages study of the basic specialty, a number of related clinical subjects, medical statistics, clinical biochemistry and pharmacology, medical genetics, etc.
Each specalist, who has finished his/her clinical postgraduate course, is awarded a Certificate of Specialized Training in Medicine (Residency) according to international standards and a Transcript to the above Certificate with indication of the numbers of hours in the studied subjects and grades for them. This Certificate gives the right to carry out all works, which are related to the specialty acquired.
Kharkiv National Medical University has a very good hostel system with fully furnished rooms, quite study environment and surrounded with recreation center..
The International Office provides a guarantee of accommodation placement services to all international students who receive an academic offer. There are several accommodation options for international students and it is important to consider whether you prefer an independent lifestyle or enjoy living in a community.
Combine the convenience of living on or near campus, access to programs and services to help you excel academically, the opportunity to build lasting friendships, and comfortable, affordable living and you have the life of a University. The territory of the University and the main students' routes from the hostels to the educational buildings are protected and patrolled by officers of guard service.
All rooms in hostels are provided with internet facility.
Rooms on campus are available to students. All hostel rooms are furnished and vary in size and number of conveniences. Dormitory rooms at hostel can accommodate 2 or 3 students to a room.
All rooms are equipped with bed, mattress, pillow, blanket, desk, chair, Almira,heating, water system and suitable lighting for both study and relaxation. There are common areas where students can play and mingle. Upon the students arrival on campus, specific accommodations are assigned and after a satisfactory health report the student will be accommodated to the room which is allotted to him.
Off campus housing can be obtained in nearby apartments. Available apartments and houses are furnished, and vary in size, cost and number of conveniences. Life in Kharkov is friendly and devoid rush. While at first some students may miss their home environment, native foods, or a hurried pace, they soon learn to appreciate and enjoy a cultural different their own.
In the hostel each room is attached with kitchen is provided for students to cook food to their own taste. Students will need to supply their own kitchen utensils. Meals may be bought from various food outlets. All the rooms are provided with heaters. Our hostels feature 24-hour access to security and emergency services, making it easy to get assistance when you need it. As a campus resident, you also have access to all support services such as campus Security Services, counselling Services and health Services.
If you take a University room, we'll ask you to sign a contract for the whole academic course. The contract commits you to rent your room until the end of the course and to follow our basic regulations. These are to ensure that everyone can live together happily and safely, so include such things as no noise after 11pm and showing consideration for others
Accommodation for the foreign students is provided by typical student hostels rated at 2,422 lodgers. Hostel fees depend upon the size of the dwelling space. This accommodation is available all the year round and for the whole period of training.But foreign students prefer rented flat/accommodation